Subject: [Leica] a serious question, M8
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Sep 26 19:13:29 2008

For a camera within the original warranty period, upgrading one of the
components provides 12 months extra warranty period for the whole  camera
after the normal period expires. When the upgrade is performed during the
original warranty period is performed is irrelevant. If you have two years
from date of purchase before, you have three years from date of purchase
with the upgrade. The only possible advantage accrued by leaving an intended
upgrade until later is that your camera is being checked and adjusted to
specifications later in its life.

For a camera out of the original warranty period a new 12 months warranty is
provided from the upgrade date.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e