Subject: [Leica] Dead Seagate
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Tue Sep 30 08:11:52 2008

There are two motors in an external hard drive like that.
The disk motor and the fan motor.
If the fan motor dies, or if the fan dies, or if the electronics die, your
data is safe but you'll have to work to get it off.
If the disk motor dies, it's a lot harder to get your data.

My recommendation would be to ignore the warranty and try to recover your
data. It's worth a lot more to you than the disk itself. I'd contact a disk
recovery company to see what they have to say.

Seagate may have a data recovery service. I've never asked.

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Dead Seagate)