Subject: [Leica] Frank Meadow Sutcliffe insights
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed Oct 1 02:58:38 2008

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe, July 1899

If a boy feels as he grows up that he has poetry in his soul, let him
beware what channel he attempts to pour out that poetry through. It will
be easiest through the channel of music, more difficult through
painting, harder still through words as poetry, but it will not flow at
all if he tries photography, the poetry in him will for ever be bubbling
up, but if he has unfortunately chosen photography as an outlet for his
passion, he might as well have been born without a soul at all - he will
be like a sweet singer with his tongue chained to a stone.

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe, March 1910

There is, perhaps, something about morocco leather which reminds a dog
of the Elysian fields. It was a lens cap, morocco bound outside, velvet
inside, which Charlie devoured first. A cork out of a pyro bottle
fortunately fitted the lens-hood exactly. Then, after eating the cap,
while my head was under the focussing cloth, Charlie devoured the
leather case, with all the stops in it. This was an insurmountable
difficulty. I know I wrote to the maker of the lens to ask what a new
set would cost, but as the amount was more than I possessed, I
determined to do without. That is why I was saved from underexposure,
which I should surely have been led into with a multitude of stops.

I had always wondered why we call them stops - Douglas

There's more here - on chairs and clouds are both rather amusing.

Cheers
Douglas