Subject: [Leica] IMG: re-worked cliffs near Poole
From: r.s.taylor_post at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Mon Oct 6 06:50:27 2008

Nathan - I struggled with this problem with photo I posted earlier
this year of a sailboat in the fog.  After posting it, I punched up
the contrast until the mast, the only part of the boat visible, really
stood out against the fog as did the only bit of land to be seen.

Original

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/SAILING/300_1708.jpg.html

Punched-Up

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/rtaylor/PICKS/SAILING/300_1708-2.jpg.html

In this case I think it worked but I'm not so sure about giving your
picture similar treatment.  Your original photo has a delicate light
that I like.

This is like special effects in them movies.  If the effects call
attention to themselves instead of furthering the story, they fail.
In your picture, I would have either left it alone, or converted it to
B&W where strong contrasts, if that's what you're after, seem to work
better than in color.

Regards,

Dick
off-list comments to r.s.taylor at comcast dot net please.