Subject: [Leica] PESO: Coffee
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Wed Oct 15 19:06:32 2008

I really love the R2a.  First, because of the auto exposure.  Second,
because of the very light weight (my neck doesn't hurt after a day's
shooting, and it's a perfect mate for a pre-asph Summicron 35)  Third,
because of the on-off switch for the shutter, which acts as a perfect
exposure-prevention control.  Fourth, because the VF is nice and bright.
Fifth, because the metal shutter curtain means no more accidental burn holes
in a shutter curtain (which happened with an old M camera, resulting in a
hefty repair bill.)

In terms of build quality, it ain't no Leica--but it's not bad, either.  The
shutter is a bit noisier than that of an M camera, but then it's metal
rather than cloth (and does synch to 1/125th).

I wish that it had a 1.25 magnifier for the VF, so I could use 50 and 90mm
lenses more easily.  Sometimes the film advance doesn't--but if you use some
slight tension rewinding (without engaging the rewind button), the problem's
solved.  Also, the rewind crank has an annoying habit of folding up on
itself.

On the other hand, the exposures are spot-on, it's fast to use, and the
exposure hold button works really well.

For my money, it's a great bargain.  I've run about fifty rolls through it
since the spring, flung it into cars, grabbed it with one hand, banged it
occasionally, and it works fine.

Best,
Jim