Subject: [Leica] Palo Alto Control, we have a possible solution and an alternative
From: john.nebel at csdco.com (John Nebel)
Date: Thu Oct 16 06:29:09 2008

Brian,

And soon an even bigger machine will be necessary.  Some steps you might
consider if you haven't already.  Forgive me for making suggestions, but I
have
been through this too and here is a three-step plan.

1. Use a Spamhouse datafeed with rsync and mercilessly drop anything
incoming
which is on their list. The data feed is not free, but life is to short to
not
use it.  Using Spamhouse with a full-blown named is too slow, rbldnsd is
lightweight.

2. Postfix is a quite efficient MTA, maybe the best.

3. Spamassasin works quite well, but is quite cpu intensive.  It can, maybe
should, be run on a separate system requiring amavis to do this.  The
spamassassin machine is the one whose cpu needs to grow.

Dealing with spam is time-consuming enough so one occasionally thinks of the
Homeric solution: "The son of Phyleus got close up to him and drove a spear
into
the nape of his neck: it went under his tongue all among his teeth, so he
bit
the cold bronze, and fell dead in the dust."

John