Subject: [Leica] Leica MP and lenses for sale
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Oct 17 08:29:58 2008

Jack,

>> I am ambivalent to be selling this stuff, but truth be told I have
not
used it in for a year or two (since I bought a Leica digital camera,
and moved, and lost my darkroom - and apparently my muse), and I am
getting a hankering to get an expensive custom road bike made for me
before my 60 year old body can no longer pedal the thing.<<

Careful! My Leica film bodies sat idle for a couple of years. Lately
I've been using them a lot.

The emphasis in new bikes seems to be stiff, high performance frames.
Maybe not so in all custom bikes, but mine rattled me to death. The
older I get the more every bump takes a toll. I replaced my newer bike
with an 84 Schwinn Paramount frame. I'm outfitting it with Campy
components. The frame gives a bit when you bear down, but it's a smooth,
comfortable ride.

If I'm competing at something or trying to generate revenue, sure I want
efficient, high-performance tools, and every advantage they provide. But
if I'm just having fun, I want classic simple, practical, charming,
functional and dependable equipment.

Older Campy stuff is out-of-site expensive for a reason. Leica film
bodies might be in the future, if they're not already.

...not that a custom road bike doesn't sound like fun :-) I wish that my
Paramount looked like this:
http://www.raydobbins.com/paramount/photos/photo1.html
But then I'd be afraid to ride it :-).

DaveR