Subject: [Leica] was software licensing, now Leica S R strategy
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Oct 19 14:15:38 2008
References: <7E1467B1-6E30-400E-8254-EC9617ADA7F6@gmail.com><B20B339D27A40AB00F97C1A7@hindolveston.reid.org> <1FBCA9D3-0174-4C62-8920-87EE11143E39@gmail.com> <F90FCA31319440D3AC13E4EB256ECCAD@dadquad><D082A5A3-A4B0-4B72-8D0B-07AD65B2079E@cox.net><48FA66C8.2040606@gmx.de><E130C972-2C0A-417C-8D92-31631F148888@cox.net><0EF92BD285F444938363B0141C3AC968@dadquad><FE317619B84F4B3E9028B9F2713F42FD@robertbxucevjs><C505FD27-B296-48C2-B9BC-6910E71D7F73@cox.net><4A04B4DF09B441A8B454139F9587AFAC@dadquad> <DF85D644-7C67-40A9-AA1B-99E08B6B4E2F@cox.net>

Steve, I know that R users felt disappointed at Photokina. I think that it
was a case of finite resources and Dr Kaufmann committed to bring the S
system to market. Very much high end, I agree, but then this is Leica. Leica
has committed to the R10, "aber die R10 kommt" :-) As to whether a new R
system will be affordable, do you expect to see something competing with say
Nikon or Canon or a premium quality Leica system for the discerning? My view
is that trying compete directly would be unwise and unsuccessful. In any
event, that is pure speculation on my part and I won't comment further. This
all arose from my partial quote, which I thought did give fans of a new R
system some encouragement. Back to posting pictures. My last two sunk
without trace!

Cheers
Geoff

http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e