Subject: [Leica] IMG: Horned Grebe
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Oct 20 09:18:16 2008

I spent yesterday morning in the kayak on Lake Natoma in eastern Sacramento
County, a few minutes from home.  Aside from a good paddling workout I also
found the first few
wintering grebes, in this case a Horned Grebe:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/hogr03.html

I believe this is a first-year bird because of the orange eye.  Adult
Horned Grebes have a bright red eye (photo from earlier this year):

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/podicipedidae/hogr02.html

tech stuff:
R8/DMR @ISO 400
560mm f/6.8 Telyt
shoulder stock & kayak
1/3000 sec @ f/6.8

All comments welcome.

Doug Herr
Kayakman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

mail2web.com ? Enhanced email for the mobile individual based on Microsoft?

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG: Horned Grebe)
Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Horned Grebe)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] IMG: Horned Grebe)
Reply from r.s.taylor_post at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] IMG: Horned Grebe)