Subject: [Leica] euro vs dollar and leica
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Oct 23 05:54:44 2008

The base reason is the marketing approach of a lot of European countries.
In  a lot of ( mostly older) companies, the foreign sales outlets are
allowed and encouraged to sell at a profit that they set themselves.  While
the manufacturer may sell to the US, Switzerland, and Belgium at the same
wholesale price, the local company distributor sells at a marked up price
that he himself sets.  Different local profit goals sets different sales
prices.  It stoked the Grey market importation of places like B+H and
others.  Drove and still drives the manufacturers crazy.

Yes, the warranty stuff enters in to the picture, but not a lot.  It is
sometimes used to defend the local profit motive argument.  The majority of
the price differences is the local profit motive.

This all worked according to plan until first Shutterbug ads, and later the
Internet allowed us all to see the local and foreign prices and make
comparisons.  Ditto travel and the EEU import tax rules .  Today, we each
make a decision to support our local store or save ( maybe more than) a few
dollars by buying mail order.

World wide pricing Is the only way to go.... same price, world wide, with
the difference being local import rules and taxes.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Because Leica gear still costs less in the US than in most
> european countries, even when we deduce the partially high VAT fees from
> here. The reason is not clear to me, must be a marketing decision made in
> the Leica HQ. I once asked Leica Switzerland why they want 33% more for a
M8

Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] euro vs dollar and leica)
Message from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] euro vs dollar and leica)
Message from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] euro vs dollar and leica)