Subject: [Leica] R10 news
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Nov 2 16:44:34 2008

FRANK DERNIE wrote:

>In fact it is both. Leica have ameliorated the microlens
> problem by having the outer ones displaced inwards rather
> than directly over the light sensitive site. This is
> better than nothing but is of course approximate since
> the ideal position for each microlens is different for
> each lens design.
> The more pressing issue is the IR filter. It only filters
> the design frequency with normal light rays, since it is
> an interference filter. As the angle of incidence changes
> the filtered frequency changes. For a SLR lens the exit
> pupil is sufficiently far from the image plane for the
> deviation from normal to be negligible. With most
> rangefinder lenses this is not the case and the correction
> needed for the effect is more easily applied if the filter
> is on the other side of the lens.  Neither of these problems
> can be completely addressed using current sensor technology.

If I'm not mistaken new technology in the S2's sensor may be able to help
with the IR issue.  I believe the sensor in the S2 has the IR filter between
the microlens and the photosensitive site.  I'd guess that in an M camera an
offset microlens and IR filter between the microlens and photosensitive site
would help fix the problem.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com