Subject: [Leica] New to Leica, advice a-plenty wanted!
From: geordiepete211 at yahoo.co.uk (Peter Cheyne)
Date: Wed Nov 5 07:07:19 2008

Hello fellow Luggers!

I bought an M6 classic last Thursday and exposed 6 rolls of film over
the weekend on a visit to Tokyo.  I used Superia 200, Superia 400,
Neopan 1600, Ilford Delta 3200, and a couple of rolls of Provia 400X.
This camera is eminently usable!

I only got one roll developed, an evening at the Japan Salsa Congress,
on Superia 400.  One mistake was that I used my EOS 580 EX II as an
auto-thyristor flash, but forgot to change the flash's ISO to 400 from
100.  So I suppose the film was pulled by the over-the-counter camera
store developer.  Do you think this is so?  Also, leaving the flash
set to 100 iso instead of 400 is better than leaving it at a setting
two stops or so in the other direction.  Anyway, you can see these
first shots at using a Leica here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=leica%20m6&w=73557746%40N00

I'd like to get better at this sort of event photography and would
like to become good enough to sell images from time to time.  Could
you give me any advice on my shots, in terms of composition, film
used, technical or other things?  I'm all ears to hear any advice and
criticism - please do tell me how to improve and where I went wrong on
some shots!

Another little problem- I loaded my second film upside down- oh dear!
So it will be unexposed and is now rewound in the cannister.  I put it
in my pocket after 36 (non) exposures and realized it would not have
worked at all.  Now I don't know which film roll it was.  Do you think
the camera store developer can save the film for me to use again?
Anyway, a small right-off to experience and a valuable lesson learned.

I only developed one film, because I accidentally left the other 5
behind in a bag I absent-mindedly left at Akebanebashi Subway Station,
Tokyo.  Before I got to Haneda Airport, a Subway worker attendant
called me to tell me he found my bag (I had labelled it with my name,
phone number and e-mail address).  He very kindly offered to post it
on to me, if I would pay the postage to the postal worker.  I received
the bag 2 days later, which was this afternoon.  Nice service!  I will
develop the others tomorrow.

Other things I'd like to know.  I would love to have an eyecup for my
M6.  I use Fuji 6x45 and 6x9 rangefinders and can use $6 Nikon eyecups
on those to shield my eye from light coming from my side, allowing the
viewfinder to be seen more clearly.  I have seen someone selling M6
eyecups for about $40, but I don't think they would be any better than
a $6 dollar one.  However, the M6 eyecup would have a smaller
diameter.  Anyone know where I can get a 5 to 10 dollar eyecup made of
rubber, with a steel screw-in ring?

I am thrilled to be able to take decent photos at 1/15th sec, maybe
1/8 and 1/4 is possible sometimes too, I think.  I will see soon when
my other films are developed.  Any thoughts here? How slow can you go?

And I have a feeling that if I load my film in a black changing bag, I
should be able to get 1 or 2 extra exposures from my film.  Is that
so?  I don't have a changing bag, but will get one if this is the
case.  Loading an M6, then winding and clicking 2 or 3 times before
firing in earnest, it seems that at least the second and third shot
need not be wasted.  Anyone tried this?

Um, what else? Oh yes.  Most people use Leicas for b&w.  What are your
thoughts on using it for transparencies and for colour negatives?

Finally, I'd like to develop my own films.  I heard of table top,
daylight developing kits, any advice on these - brand names, ease of
finding the chemicals, anyone ever done this in Japan (where I live)?
An old gent I met in Thailand told me he used to develop his own slide
film and that was very easy.  Any thoughts on this?  It sounds like
smoke and magic to me, hence very intriguing.

Thank you for reading my long post, I hope to stay in this group as a
long-termer. Don't hold back on criticizing my first exposures with
the M6, please!

Geordiepete

Replies: Reply from leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] New to Leica, advice a-plenty wanted!)
Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] New to Leica, advice a-plenty wanted!)