Subject: [Leica] Off Topic - Prostate
From: ricc at embarqmail.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sat Nov 8 08:35:17 2008

I recently had my doctor (a new one) question whether I should test
PSA, as I have for some years.

I understand the statistical analysis that says it may not make sense
for the entire medical system to recommend testing yearly. But, the
financial interests of the system do not necessarily match those of
the individual.

If I get a result of concern, I may have a difficult decision to make.
If I do not test, I do not have the tough decisions to make, but I may
be allowing a cancer to develop unchecked.

It's the old statistical dilemma--adding a $5 part to the cost of one
car, but if  you are figuring your profit on 5 million cars, it's
pretty substantial.

Ric Carter
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/