Subject: [Leica] New member and photos now posted on LUG Gallery
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sat Nov 8 08:37:07 2008

I am sure you will continue to enjoy rangefinder photography, but for close
focus its not really the bee's knees. In fact many of the best RF images
over the years are a bit "out of focus". I submitted:

<http://stmaarten.globat.com/~afirkin.com/NewSite/PARIS08/source/parisweb110.htm>

recently. I walk the streets pre-focusing. Its one of the niffty tricks of
those lens tabs. Learn to shift them to approximate focus, then you are
ready to fire in a split second. If you have time focus by all means ;-)

Light, quite (my M8's are a bit on the noisy side as many will attest) with
wonderful optics, rangefinder photography has clear advantages on the street
and when travelling. For more formal portraits (like yours) SLR's are
possibly better, but as HCB portraits show, the RF can capture much about a
person that the slower machine could miss.

If you are like me, it will take you a long time to really begin to
understand how the RF works: BUT ITS WORTH IT.

Cheers