Subject: Number of Leaves on an Oak Tree [was Re: [Leica] Sing Along, Now "And, the leaves of brown came tumbling down..."]
From: r.s.taylor_post at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Sat Nov 8 08:49:15 2008

Sonny - I wondered if this could literally be true.  It certainly
seems plausible - at least in my yard.  So, I googled on "number of
leaves on an oak tree," and got this back from:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=448205

'Thank you for your interesting question. After an extensive search,
the only reference for actual numbers of leaves was the following:

http://www.wisconsincountyforests.com/qa-forst.htm

'How many leaves does a tree have? "It depends on the tree's species
and age, but a mature, healthy tree can have 200,000 leaves. During 60
years of life, such a tree would grow and shed 3,600 pounds of leaves,
returning about 70% of their nutrients to the soil."'

200,000 a year is still far too many in my book.  I must have at least
a half dozen oaks in my yard or nearby in the neighbor's yards, so
that means I have to clear 1.2 million leaves a year off my lawn.

And you, you lucky devil, only have to clear 600,000.  :-))

Regards,

Dick
off-list comments to r.s.taylor at comcast dot net please.