Subject: [Leica] Re: Off Topic - Prostate
From: DLawrence at fkp.com (Don Lawrence)
Date: Mon Nov 10 08:50:09 2008

Thanks to all who replied to me on this topic both on the list and off.
I subscribe to the digest and have been away from computers for several
days so I am just now catching up.

All of your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
I am aware that the question of PSA testing is considered by some
physicians as controversial.
Here in the USA, the health care system drives a business model that
supports Urologists having the means to diagnosis
and treat prostate ca earlier than ever before. They have costly robots,
photon, and proton devices available for treatments.
They need patients (like me) with health care insurance to fund this
equipment.
Yet, it seems that many of the prostate cancers are really slow growing
and older men can do the watchful waiting thing.
If it grows slowly then other problems may seal your fate before the
cancer can escape the prostate capsule and cause real problems.

In my case 6 out of 12 biopsies were positive and these areas were
spread out in pattern leading to the conclusion that as much as 50% of
the gland is involved. The aggressiveness scoring (Gleason scale) was
medium. From my understanding this scoring is based upon pathology
reports from those who have optioned radical prostatectomy. I was told
that the scoring can be up to 40% off as a factor of tumor
aggressiveness.

I am still weighing my options, but watchful waiting at my age is not
recommended.
Then there is the doubt about the aggressiveness, and the fact that once
you know you have cancer if is somewhat instinctive to want to get rid
of it quickly before it gets a chance to spread anymore.

Brian had noted that maybe this topic is not so 'off-topic' given the
demographic of the LUG.
Knowing you have cancer is a life changing event. Like getting married
or having children, my life will never be the same again.
It gives you a different outlook and makes some of the simple things in
life seem much more important. Like taking photos!

I am also aware that great strides in research is being made and that in
the not too distance future prevention of this disease may be controlled
with a vaccine or medication.  Hopefully that means the next generation,
our children, won't have to face the treatment choices we have today.

For today, I recommend that you do have a PSA test if your concerned,
and especially if you have a family history.

Don Lawrence