Subject: [Leica] IMG: Custom Flash Gear and Examples (Leica Heresy ;~)
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu Nov 13 14:49:46 2008

I finally got around to adding this to my Gear album.  It's a small Morris
flash unit modified with 16mfd capacitor and Leitz connector,
to provide just enough light for indoor fill-in, under office fixtures; or
to balance other dim situations.   Recharges in 1/4 sec.
Output (using 400 ISO) gives f/2 at 5', f/2.8 at 4', and f/4 at 3'.  Throws
a nice catchlight in the eyes.  When I used these with (daylight) color,
I would tape a  FL-D gel over the tube for fluorescents, or with tungsten
color, I'd use an 85B.  Putting a finger or piece of black tape over the
flash reflector modulates the output.
I also have a couple that fit hot shoes, but the voltage is too high for
digital use (drat!).

The flash:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/WinkFlash1_AMR.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/WinkFlash2_AMR.jpg.html>

Two samples:
<ttp://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/WinkFlashFace_MR.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/WinkFlashGrad_MR.jpg.html>

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee