Subject: [Leica] IMG:Misc. and Darkroom Adventure
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Sun Nov 16 18:07:42 2008

And Ric Carter <ricc@embarqmail.com>wrote:

>The technical info on the tri-x portrait is as interesting as the
>grain structure.

>That said, the portrait is a different take on a lovely model.

>A clean, simplified composition--half the face, twice the art
And I think I sould only take half the credit.  I was emulating a photo by
Otto Steinert, "Portrait
of Lotte", but something about the model's face seemed to call for this
treatment.

The reason for exposing Tri-X at 32 ISO was that I only had my Leica and
Tri-X with me at this industrial
photographer's meeting.  The guest speaker was a fashion photographer who
invited everyone to
use his strobe set-up and shoot the models.  The flashes were so strong that
I had no choice but
to expose at f/22 and 1/50, which gave me the ISO 32 figure.

I probably was the only one there using a Leica RF.  Everyone else was
taking medium shots with SLR's,
but the next year this photo won second place/ people, in the organization's
annual contest, and I've been
thankful to this woman ever since, for her wonderful face.

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson) ([Leica] IMG:Misc. and Darkroom Adventure)