Subject: [Leica] Re: Lluis's Minox
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon Nov 17 15:54:29 2008

Lluis,

A Minox is a delightful pocket pet, but if you like big images, don't
abandon your Leica.

Using ASA25 film a Minox negative can be enlarged about 20x before
the detail suffers. The slow film speed is practical because the
Minox lens aperture is fixed at f3.5. Using much faster film in
daylight leads to over exposure. Of course some users maintain that
they can get far greater magnification in enlargements but I find
that their assertions must be taken with a grain of salt.

Using normal film and developing and a Minox enlarger, I found that I
could reliably produce decent quality 5 x 7 inch prints. Grain was
obvious on 8 x 10 prints. Of course film is better now than it used
to be so I suppose the larger size if possible if you use meticulous
care. Some Leicaphiles claim that you can produce mural sized prints
from a Leica negative too but I've never been able to get a decent
print larger than 16 x 20 with my typical newspaper honed darkroom
technique.

Minox used to claim that critical sharpness could be obtained in a
Minox print of ANY size provided it was viewed from the appropriate
distance. At photo shows Minox often displayed 3 x 4 foot prints
enlarged from the tiny negative. The catch was that the prints had to
be viewed from behind a velvet rope placed 6 feet from the wall.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Re: Lluis's Minox)