Subject: [Leica] "Life" Magazine photo archive hosted by Google
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Nov 18 16:48:41 2008

Tina Manley offered:

>> I sincerely hope that Life and Google have secured the rights from the
photographers to publish and allow these photos to be downloaded and used.as
they say on their site:  Somehow I doubt it.<<<

It appears you can down load these photos and use them? I think. But surely
that can't be the case as some are iconic images of special times on planet
earth.

As far as tracking down each and every photographer to establish they are
alive or beyond, so they can enjoy some of  the economical benefits of their
efforts is highly unlikely. Again, I assume if one happened to be working
for LIFE or any other organization those pictures and all rights belong to
whomever owns the rights today. Therefore not one farthing will be passed on
to the still living photographers.

It's an incredible collection, but I'd put money on the table if one were to
down load and try to use any of these images as their own or had the rights
to earn income from any of them. you surely will wake-up in jail!

That is of course unless you're prepared to pay the "USER FEE" to Google!

A few thoughts about a beautiful collection.

ted