Subject: [Leica] Any opinions/experience with the Zeiss 4/18mm?
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Nov 19 23:23:52 2008

Yep, that's where I bought mine. Excellent service too. If you plan to use
the UV/IR filters (I recommend you do), you need the bayonet flange to bring
up the 28/90 frame-lines in order for it to be codable. That is you need the
flange to bring up the 28 frames (even though those are not used for the
framing) AND you need the coding. I don't know if the current stock is
modified by default. Mine was not. Zeiss can definitely do it for you. Zeiss
does not code the lenses, of course. My 21 was done by Zeiss USA (sent to
Germany) for free, courtesy of Tony. If you buy from PopFlash now it is
already completed. Then you need to code the modified flange. You might like
to check from whever you buy. I replaced the entire flange on mine with a
beautifully machined bronze one, complete with pits for coding.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/
Pick up your camera and make the best photo you can.