Subject: [Leica] Are Leica lenses multicoated?
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sun Nov 23 18:11:43 2008

I find that understanding why something works makes me better able to
capitalise on its strengths and avoid its weaknesses.

>how much does it cost and who did it?

It was done in a research lab that doesn't take commercial work.  If you
could find someone to do it and had it done, I'd imagine it would cost $US
200-250/surface - a lot more than Focal Point charges for excellent modern
single coating.  Arax in the Ukraine has stopped offering a polish and
recoating service.

>Can every one imagine the Edward Weston, Man Ray, HCB... and many
>others improved pictures?,

H C-B had his collapsible 50/2 Summicron multicoated by Leica.  He thought
it was worth it.

The difference between uncoated and single coated is HUGE, the difference
between single and multicoated is less enormous.  Modern coatings are hugely
advantageous for maintaining lens condition into the future.  The increased
control of flare is interesting to observe and the design freedom that they
allow is amazing.  The Tessar was designed to work as an uncoated lens
because Planar types flared too much because they had too many air-to-glass
surfaces - few of our post-WWII designed lenses would work at all if coating
did not exist, including 'classics' like the seven element 50mm Summicrons.

>low contrast combined with very high resolution allows a unique smooth
>look...and you can always increase the contrast if desired...
>I am not sure how the coating impacts, or what the coating is for the DR...

This is not about coating - this results from lens design and glass types.
The contrast/resolution paradox applies only to lenses that are limited by
spherical aberration.  Modern glass types and design allow spherical
aberrations to be almost eliminated, meaning that you can now have a high
contrast _and_ high resolution lens.  The DR and other lenses are very nice
but their look is derived mostly from the available glass types and design
limits of the 1950s and 60s.  Many users would find a DR with good modern
coating an improvement - you retain the look but the flare is decreased.
Out-of-focus rendition is also a function of design and how the design
controls aberrations, and is not related to coating.

Marty

Gallery: http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!