Subject: [Leica] CS4 Extended Depth of Field Trial
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Wed Nov 26 01:18:15 2008

There is another aspect to this - when capturing digital images, the
smallest aperture you can use without losing image quality is not
necessarily the smallest aperture of the lens - in fact every
lens/sensor combination has a 'sweet spot'.

If I remember rightly, for the APS sensor in, e.g. The Canon 20D,
quality already begins to deteriorate with apertures smaller than f8.

There was an article on this in one of the German photo magazines, I'll
try and find it for the details.

I assume that a series taken using the sweet spot with different planes
of focus would then very probably be better than one shot with very
small apertures.

Cheers
Douglas