Subject: [Leica] Sam Abel/ Richard Prince
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Fri Nov 28 10:34:53 2008

This divide
between documentary and fine art photography
does not hold up (except within individual minds).
Steichen and MOMA mounted the "Family of Man" Exhibit in 1955.

As a young photographer (circa '67 or '68)
I took a documentary portfolio
titled "Light on poverty in Appalachia"
to the Milwaukee Art Museum
and was told by the photo curator,
"This is not Art fit for the home."
I felt devastated.

Danny Lyon and many other documentary photographers
exhibited in museums and galleries back then
Since that time
MAM has shown many documentary exhibits.

Many of the museums and galleries
simply don't get it until your "Name"
has grown some "significance" around it.

Often it's the subject matter in relationship to the place, times and
trends.
Poverty (in Appalachia) was off the table in 1967 in Milwaukee.

Without doubt a difference exists
between 'news, editorial, documentary and art photography.
Determining whether a documentary photograph (or photographer)
has crossed into the realm of "Art"
requires a sure footed intelligence
on the part of the curator, director or editor.
Most curators and directors simply follow the waves and trends.
Steichen, Stieglitz, Szarkowski and their ilk strike out and set
trends rather than follow them; they're rare.

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com