Subject: [Leica] Gallery Update
From: jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore)
Date: Mon Dec 1 18:34:01 2008

2008-12-01-17:38:47 Bob Adler:
> Thanks Jeff.
> And I am in awe of those, like you, who can photograph people at just
> the right moment, wonderfully composed and without seeming to?intrude
> on their interactions.
> So the world is balanced :-)

Wow, thanks -- that's really nice to hear, especially from someone as
good as you.

Yeah, so many times when I decide to try to take a pleasing picture
without people in it, I manage to overthink it, and the result is a
really stiff attempt at formal composition which lacks any life.  When
there are people moving around, it becomes mostly about the timing, and
I don't have the luxury of overthinking composition -- so it has to be
taken care of in realtime by my subconscious, as informed by decades of
staring particularly hard at people's pictures I've particularly liked.
That approach seems to work best for me.

 -J