Subject: [Leica] ever been to Guatemala City?
From: stasys1 at cox.net (Stasys Petravicius)
Date: Tue Dec 2 07:42:35 2008

Brian- No- but we stopped for a day tour in Guatemala several years ago
during our 10 day cruise down the coast from LA.  There were short men
with automatic rifles when we drove thru villages at any building that
looked reasonable. Don't know what they were protecting. We were a
little unnerved. Took a nice tour across a lake to a small town where
we did lunch and shopped. On the way back to the lake, we witnessed a
group of several policemen trying to shoot a mad dog on the beach- it
was an awful scene. They could not hit it from 6-8 feet away. It was
like a hollywood B movie. I read in the LA Times that it is still wild
there. Probably the drug traffickers- as in Mexico. I'd be careful- but
I'd go. Someone said the short men with the automatic rifles didn't
have bullets in them. We didn't get a chance to ask. Good luck! Stasys