Subject: [Leica] Daved and confused
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Tue Dec 2 17:05:19 2008

Dave,

Just a few thoughts.  Most of my background is in LF.  I believe that I
understand the visualization (pre-visualization) concept.  I have done my
share of reading negative density for various N minus and what all settings.
I still have friends who would not give that up for the world.  But for me,
"digital" is liberating.  As long as I don't do something really bad (put my
thumb in front of the lens, blow out the highlights etc.) I have a
"negative" that can be used.  Sort of like having an endless supply of TriX.
You can make an unprintable TriX neg, but you have to try.  In addition, I
now have a lot of negatives.  I don't mean happenstance.  I mean, let's try
this angle or this light (though typically the first image is still the
best).

Editing is fast, and brings the winners, if any, out quickly.  There are
plenty of times when a color file surprised me when converted to b&w.  Just
desaturation won't get you much.  There are plenty of solutions for b&w,
such as Alien Skin Exposure, Convert to B&W Pro, Photoshop's tools and so
forth.  I think you raise an interesting question, and my comment is
essentially why not use all these great tools, or stated another way, why
lock yourself into one way of seeing?  I'm sure at one time burning and
dodging in the darkroom was seen as the devil's work.  As far as what WWAS,
I'd bet the ranch that if he used the brush adjustment tool in Bridge he
would say "Holy crap, my ship has come in - this calls for a martini!"
After all, you're talking about someone whose prints bore little resemblance
to the negs, and who dunked the bottom of the most holy of negatives
(Moonrise)into chromium solution to intensify the grave markers.  Or, how
about the LF darkroom photographers who use unsharp mask negatives...that
wasn't on the original.

Ken
(An amateur photographer, untalented painter, whose family is most thankful
that his income does not relate to photography, and who understands that
there are areas, such as PJ, where the above thoughts would or should be
heresy)