Subject: [Leica] Lange Photo
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Thu Dec 4 09:07:25 2008

Slobodan,

I grew up in Modesto. Back then it was best known as the home of Gallo
Wine. It also became famous as the subject location of "American
Graffiti" (though it was filmed in Petaluma). George Lucas graduated
from my High School, or should I say I from his? It's probably best
known now for Scott Peterson, who was my brother's fertilizer salesman,
although that's not why he's infamous.

Some years back I was looking through one of Dorothea Lange's books.
Just past "Migrant Mother" there was an image of a corner gas station
titled, "Riverbank". Riverbank is right next to Modesto. I decided to
try and find the spot. It wasn't too difficult. There was a small 4x4
wooden post in the edge of the photograph with street names.

Dorothea must have been standing in the road when she took the
photograph. Or maybe she took the image from inside here car. I mean,
you envision her setting up a tripod and carefully composing. But who's
to say she didn't snap and dash, like the rest of us have been known to
do on occasion :-).

I found the post with the street names lying in the weeds. I should have
grabbed it. Within days they were framing houses on the land. This was
during the boom a few years back. The 80's boom that ended when the S&Ls
collapsed, not the more recent one.

I took a photo, but there was not reference to the original. And views
of acres and acres of partially framed homes were such a common site
back then it hardly seemed worth it.

Dave