Subject: [Leica] Re: Stolen photos
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Wed Dec 10 12:42:05 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 3:03 PM, Tina wrote:

> This showed up on APA this morning:
>
> http://photobusinessforum.blogspot.com/2008/12/curious-case-of-fink-
> photography.html
>
> If we don't figure out some way to permanently attach metadata to
> photos on the web, and if Orphan Works passes, I'm sure there will be
> more and more unethical stealing of photos.

I am shocked, SHOCKED to find evidence of rampant theft on the web!
As if phishing, identity theft, stolen credit card numbers, and eBay
scams weren't enough, now it's photo and copyright infringement.
Years ago, when I was actually making money from writing and
photography, I was warned by my agent never to post any work of value
on the web. In fact the small print on the AOL Terms of Service
actually transfered ownership to AOL for material posted on the site.
I'm not sure if it still does but it did ten years ago. I learned to
heed my agent's advice after several instances where material I wrote
was stolen and republished without attribution or payment. Now I know
that none of us would ever do that with pictures from the LUG Forum
but-- if you intend to sell it, don't post it.

As for me, I'm still waiting for the million dollar check promised me
by the unjustly imprisoned Liberian Minister of Finance.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from boklm at mars-attacks.org (nicolas vigier) ([Leica] Re: Stolen photos)
Reply from sethrosner at nycap.rr.com (Seth Rosner) ([Leica] Re: Stolen photos)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: Stolen photos)