Subject: [Leica] M8 upgrade - 90 Cron APO focusing problems now Question????
From: len-001 at verizon.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sat Dec 13 13:47:31 2008

Aram,

Actually it is true. Because of the back focus issues I had with my
M8 I decided to test 11 lenses for DOF first with a film camera, then
with an M8, (actually two M8s). Every one of the 11 lenses showed the
center of the DOF shifted to the back when going from film to sensor.
The shift was greatest with the faster lenses and also with the more
telephoto lenses. In a couple cases the DOF shifted enough so the
point where I focused was either at the very edge or outside of the
DOF. The worst lens was the Noctilux followed by the 50 Summilux Asph
followed by the 75 Summilux. I found the most accurate focus was with
lenses built in the 50s, like the 50mm Summicrons and even the 1.5
Summarit. My 90mm AA was fine. But every Leica lens I have tested has
a focus shift when going from film to digital. The shift with 8 of
the 11 lenses was acceptable.

Len