Subject: [Leica] IMG: 747, Make it happen
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Dec 16 11:58:52 2008

At 12:59 PM -0600 12/16/08, Alan Magayne-Roshak wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 Tina Manley <images@comporium.net>wrote:
>
>>...Also, some Canon lenses are worse than others.  The 16-35 zoom is
>>absolutely awful.  The 24/1.4 L is pretty bad.  Wides are much worse
>than longer lenses.
>Tell me about it!  I hate that 16-35, but it's the widest lens the office
>has,
>so I grit my teeth when I have to use it, even stopped down.  I miss
>using fast
>prime lenses on film where I could shoot even at f/2 and have good results.
>We still have some fast Nikkor manual lenses and a Nikkor-EOS adapter, but
>the Canon screen is so hard to use with them I can't get consistent
>focus.(except for my
>35mm f/3.5 PC Nikkor, which seems to snap into focus easier, and is
>very sharp).
>
>Alan

I got rid of the 16-35 after I got the 12-24 Sigma. That may be a
slow lens, but the optical quality is lots better. Also, it is
essentially distortion free! I still have a MF Nikon 15/3.5 which is
fairly good, but it's an old design and it shows, especially in the
poor flare performance

I have he 24/1.4 and 35/1.4 and while the 35 is quite decent
(although not as good as the 35 Summilux ASPH) the 24 is really quite
soft until you stop it down a lot, and then it's only somewhat soft.
It's really for those occasions when only f/1.4 will do. At 24 the
best that Canon has to offer are the two zooms, the 24-70/2.8 and the
24-105/4. They are both quite decent zooms, but really can't be
compared with the best at that focal length.

I'm waiting for the 21/2.8 and 18/3.5 Zeiss lenses in Canon mounts.
The 21 especially is huge; about 3 times the volume of the 21/1.4
Summilux, but if it provides decent performance then the new 5D MkII
might make sense.

In any case, the M8 with the Leica wides are just so much better.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design