Subject: [Leica] Now I know why the filters are needed on the M8 :-)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed Dec 17 09:29:05 2008

At 5:14 PM +0100 12/17/08, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>Last night we had the annual Christmas Quiz in a local bar, arranged
>for the 10th year in a row by two English guys at work. For me, this
>was the second time around, and disappointingly our team came in
>either last or next-to-last.
>
>Anyway, I took about 80 pics with my M8 and the 50mm Summilux that
>arrived the day before. My UV/IR filters are not here yet, so I got
>a good flavour of why they were needed. Of course, the light in the
>bar was horrible and dim, and so black came out as not black.  A
>couple of the pictures of a woman at my table leads me to ask the
>following: if her allegedly black hair has a purple tint, should I
>conclude that:
>
>1) She was wearing a polyester wig?

Possibly; who knows?

>2) She had coloured her hair and so the M8 was reacting to the
>chemicals she used?

Maybe.

>3) I was too drunk?

That's a whole 'nuther topic that we don't have to get into.

>TIA,
>Nathan
>
>Nathan Wajsman

Actually, the IR contamination will be obvious whenever there is IR
in the light source, which means outdoors, indoors under
incandescents, or almost anything other than low pressure sodium
lighting.

Get IR filters and set your M8 free.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff