Subject: [Leica] S2 Lenses MTF & Resolutions
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Dec 21 06:43:33 2008

I think what you are saying is that image quality is down the need list for
this customer base.  It is the "Polaroid" approach that they need, and that
SW is available through Hasselblad Digital.  THAT saves them money or a
reshoot.

I can buy this angle.  It makes sense to me.

But it has absolutely nothing to do with superb image quality or optical
superiority as a first buying reason.  It would appear that a competitor
would be Adobe not Leica.......  and that should scare the pants off any
player or newcomer......

Hey Mark, let's start a new company.... Tethered Images Today.........   For
the fashion shoot guys..... and girls.....  Offering SW to tether your
cheapo Canon $8K bodies to a $3K computer that serves Cappuccino and
Espresso on the side......  Don't want grumpy Art Directors........

Frank Filippone

I think for fashion jobs much of the reason why its Hassy H is they want a
person to be running a big monitor and all the software for continuity.
Things to be properly matched up ahead of time. Someone who knows how to run
the software real time without panicking or otherwise messing up big time.
Its a new job description.
Its this person is the big issue and is what they want. More then gear
choices I think
As post processing is too costly and time consuming and just doesn't work.
I say "they" as I've never done one  like this as of yet but last time I
looked I'm not dead yet.

Leica was very specific in stating that the software these guys and gals are
used to using will come bundled with your out of the Box S2.
The S1 maybe not. :)'
So these art directors and pre production people will feel like its ok to go
the Leica route. And of course the photographers as if its up to them.

I think its possible to tether any DSLR or maybe an M8 even and do the same
with the guy running the software and everyone looking at the big monitor.
The big Polaroid in the sky. But it doesn't feel right to these people
maybe. They are paying  for peoples time. Why not get the high priced
spread; namely bigger than 24x36 format? And they'd get that with Leica S
wouldn't they?
Looking at my new B&H catalog I see software which seems like that's the
stuff for sale for any camera of any format to be tethered.
Right now my foot is tethered to the corner of my desk but you don't wanna
know.... It's a Saturday night.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner