Subject: [Leica] Fwd: Rick Borkin Photos
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Sun Dec 21 12:46:39 2008

Thank you Steve.
I always appreciate hearing your POV.

Certainly; I agree with your underlying point.
We see Holga images here
which convey the feelings of the photographer
because the vision is in synch with the gear
he or she is using at the moment.

Yet, I've opened enough files on the screen
wherein I'm left feeling, "damn! that ain't right."
(s**t focus, too grainy, this shouldn't look this mushy, or whatever
? relating to failure of the gear, film or sensor choice ? to achieve
my "feelings")

"any quality gear" ? yes.
The question remains for each of us,
"What qualities do I wish to see in the final print?
And how do I achieve those qualities?"

In the photographic world (aside from vision, talent, drive,
sensitivity, etc.)
this means making choices about
optics, formats, sensors, films, developers and papers.
Then; if the print works ? the correct choices were made.

While the poet may not need a fancy pen;
the pianist will most likely sound better if performing on a fine piano.
Listen to them talk about the "action" of the keyboard, timbre and tone.

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com