Subject: [Leica] un-believable
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Dec 21 21:12:45 2008

The down side to the mega cameras;
The ones with the jacked up resolutions I'm talking about 24x36 format
cameras which 20 + megapixels.
Or medium format cameras.
Or the S2
Is

...the fact that if you were shooting with a regular 24x36 format digital
camera you'd be able to produce very viable images at ISO's over 64,000.
16,000  4th of a second
32,000  8th of a second
64,000  15th of a second
128,000 30th of a second
And then some....

With the mega cameras you don't get that usability.
You're back to where you were with cropped format APS-C 1.5x!

The ability to be able to shoot anything anywhere anytime and in most cases
hand held is what you get with more normal 24x36 digital resolution cameras
costing 2 or 3 grand.

So in some odd ways you can spend more money which would give you in effect
less camera. From the standpoint of what your images look like. Which is the
only standpoint which counts really.

I'm looking at a Nikon D3x
As a back up to a Nikon D3.

I'd never get a D3x if I didn't have the D3 first;
So I'd know I could get the shot.

But for a commercial shoot or fine art shoot or other shoot where I can have
a lower ISO (400) the 17x22 images I'd get from the D3x would be worth the 7
grand I'd pay for one. For almost medium format digital quality with my
normal but not so boring Nikon glass.
But in a great many cases the images made with the D3 no X would be superior
at that or most any size.

So I'd not leave home without the D3 or maybe D700.
Shooting 4/5 with a DSLR appeals tremendously too me.
You get that with a D3 not D700.

Who needs a Speed Graphic?

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner