Subject: [Leica] Coding the Noctilux?
From: kenlass at gate.net (Ken Lassiter)
Date: Mon Dec 22 05:23:36 2008

Thanks, Geoff, for your advice.  I have to shoot more with the Nocti to
see if I have any problems with back focus on the M8.  When I use it on
the film Leicas, I usually shoot wide open or nearly so.  I have the
habit of bracketing focus for close subjects by shooting several shots
and shifting my head and the camera back a little and then forward a
little. Often, one frame is noticibly sharper on the main subject.

Happy Holidays!  ...Ken

Ken the focus shift would be likely to occur at apertures larger than f/8.
If the lens is correct wide open it will occur as you stop down but not be
apparent at f/8 for example because the DoF will mask the error. Use it wide
open and it will be fine if you are good enough! Stop down a little and
you'll need to adjust . But a little experimentaion should give you the
correction to make it work. Or trade it on the new Nocti if you are Bill
Gates, or the Summilux 50 ASPH.
Cheers
Geoff