Subject: [Leica] Re: Ted
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Dec 23 07:16:36 2008

Alan offered:

Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Ted

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008, I wrote:

>BTW, I've got a Canadian photo annual from 1968, I think, that has work by

>a certain Mr. Ted Grant.  (These books are in the other room, and since
I've

>got two cats sleeping on my lap, I don't want to disturb them to get up and

>check the details)

Cats are off now, so I checked.  These are the photo collections from the

National Film Board of Canada 1967-70, and I've got IMAGE 1,2,3,4,5,6,and 7,
with

your photos in #2, #3,and #5.

#2 has a fabulous silhouette shot of horses on a ridge with puffy clouds

(Black Diamond, ONT 1963)

#3 contains two shots from Paris and one from Mexico.

and #5, a cloudscape and a stunning image of a divided highway

backlit by a large sun over the mountains.

I'm lucky to have found these volumes.<<<<<<<<<<

Good morning Alan,

Now that's a find indeed. Here's some notes re the pictures as I remember.

#2: That's from an assignment about ranching, wild horses and cattle round
up's in Alberta. I believe some on the LUG have seen it on the LUG Photo
Gallery.

#3 Well the Paris one with your numbers is a tough call as I did quite a
number of assignments there in the early '60's. And Mexico a couple there,
one about bull fighting, tourism and a few about Mexico in a general sense.

#5  The backlit highway is shooting west on the Edmonton-Jasper highway
during a documentary on the Province of Alberta. That picture was also used
on the record jacket of a Bruce Cockburn recording some years ago. Any Bruce
Cockburn fans out there will recognize the picture.

Thank you for remembering and your comments, helps bring back wonderful
memories when being a photojournalist, life was always full of simple
surprises only a phone call away and without question fun!

I see another post by Alastair Firkin about the "75 Years of Leica
Photography" book. I have a photo there also. Page 280, I think they put it
there because it was shot with the Leica R 280mm f 2.8 lens hand held! :-)
It's the winning moment of the Men's 100 Meter final race at the Seoul
Olympics 1988 when Ben Johnson crossed the finish line with his hand and
finger held high in Victory!

Actually   everyone in that book including HCB has "one picture only!"  :-)
A great leveling of talents as each is equal by recognition as Leica Users .
we all had the same number of pictures, 1 :-)

Cheers,

ted