Subject: [Leica] Film Scanner Suggestion
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Thu Dec 25 19:58:37 2008

Robert,

For 35mm you will do fine with the Nikon.  I suggest using the supplied
Nikon software to see if it will fit your needs.  For me it works fine.  I
also have Silverfast for my LF scanner, and it is excellent.  Be prepared to
spend some time.  An 8x or 16x sampling 14-bit 35mm image takes a while at
full resolution, and is around a 100mb file.  If you are printing smaller
sizes or for the web, then things will speed up.  If I have an image worth
saving, I tend to scan at the highest settings - then I can print full-size
or downsize, just scanning once.  I have had VueScan since it was
introduced, but for some reason haven't been able to make it work for me.
Good luck.

Ken