Subject: [Leica] Canon 800mm IS
From: len-001 at verizon.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sat Dec 27 08:27:29 2008

You're right Doug. While I'm primarily a Nikon SLR user, I bought a
used EOS 1DS MK II to use with my 560mm Telyt. This combination gives
me beautiful results. I have since purchased Canon's 400mm f4 DO and
1.4X extender which also gives me beautiful results. Since I already
had the full frame body (This was before the D3 and D700), I started
looking at some of the better Canon L lenses to carry with me. I am
fortunate that my dealer lets me try anything I want. I have since
had to pass on 4 L lenses I tried, including the 24mm f1.4, the
16-35mm f2.8 and the 24 -105mm lenses. I did get the 35mm f1.4L lens
which I find very nice. I almost passed on the 400mm DO lens as well.
I tried a used one from my dealer which I found had low contrast. A
week later he let me try a new one. It was nothing like the first
one. It had excellent contrast and high resolution. I bought it.  I
don't know if this kind of variability is common but it's certainly
scary for a lens that cost over $10,000. which is the case with the
800mm.

Len