Subject: [Leica] IMG: some interesting HDR images
From: rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler)
Date: Mon Dec 29 17:08:41 2008

Indeed Geoff the process has limitations. And also there is the highly
subjective area of what the photographer wants to convey, as you state.

For example,?my Emerald?Bay image has a?dark shade of green on the
shorelines when printed, which gives it, I think, the additional shoreline
punch you refer to. JPEG wipes that out... To?get that green plus the sky
required more?dynamic range than my camera could record ( I believe it was
at about 5:30am). So HDRI was worth a shot.

To contrast, your image of the Muir Woods trail is wonderful. However, there
is no detail, on my monitor, in the tree trunks and in much to the side of
the path. I think your image conveys a wonderful feeling the way you've
presented it. Again we enter the subjective area.

As for muddiness in shadows,?looking at my shot from 6,000 feet above?Tahoe
of the near trees and far mountains, I don't see a problem there. And
shooting at 11,000 feet?at high noon and capturing, in my opinion, the
feeling of enormity of Desolation Wilderness was an amazing thing to have
been able to do and only through HDRI.

So I'm back where you began, my friend. It has it's place and, when
used?judiciously, should not result in the revocation of a Photoshop license
:-)
Best,
Bob
?Bob Adler