Subject: [Leica] Don't be shy: sink the boots ;-)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Jan 1 21:23:31 2009

>My landscapes have been getting a few nice comments, but this one did not:
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alastair/album184/2008/IceScape-5.jpg.html
>
>and I thought it might be a "dodgy" one, so please don't hold back.
>Why doesn't it work? Is it just too messy and confusing? Sink the
>boots, I'm planning to be more critical this year with my own and
>others work, as I think we all learn more that way.
>
>Cheers and Happy new year
>
>Alastair

OK. Here goes.

It's too messy. There is no focus. Are we looking at the left side or
the right? There is no 'larger' penguin to look at. Things are at an
equal distance, equal brightness (flat) and the detail is also all
about equal in value.

Now if you had a penguin, about half torso and head, looking onto the
scene from the lower right hand corner, wringing his hands and
moaning about government employees.....

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design