Subject: [Leica] And so it begins...
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri Jan 2 17:39:18 2009

Wayne,
>From a pen collector - the present quality of Montblanc is rubbish - the
material used is so bad that it shatters on minor falls, and I have had one
(gifted to me) that developed a crack while lying unused (replaced by them
very grudgingly). I would not buy a Montblanc made after 1977, when Dunhill
took them over, and they decided that they were exiting the pen business,
and entering the luxury business. Sell the 149 and shift to:

If you have the $$$ try Omas. But if you want best bang for the buck, try
Pelikan, especially the M800. If you want exotic nibs, try the Japanese
(they have a great history of calligraphy) - Pilot/Namiki, Sailor or
Platinum. All modern nibs are relatively stiff - if you want flexible nibs,
look for 1950s Montblanc and Pelikan. All fountain pens, of course. For
ballpoints or roller balls, it really does not matter, they all write the
same.
Cheers
Jayanand