Subject: [Leica] Leica 100 Years
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Jan 3 00:34:24 2009

I'd like to participate.  I'd also like to express a different viewpoint
regarding the requirements: I think we should *not* restrict ourselves to
100% Leica, just that either a Leica lens or body be used in taking the
picture. Just as we did with FOM2.  Here's why:

1.  Unless all pictures must be taken specifically for the project, we may
not remember exactly what lens was used on what body when.  I almost always
use Leica bodies, but my lens kit is "ethnically" mixed.  I've used
Leitz/Leica, VC, Nikkor, Canon, and Sovyetsii RF lenses.  Do I really have
to eliminate some of my best shots if I'm not 100% sure that the lens
speaks, proper German?

2. HCB used a Sonnar on his Leica until he got his Summicron.  David
Douglas Duncan used LTM Nikkors in Korea.  Yet they are often referred to
as "Leica photographers." Would we eliminate them as being insufficiently
pure?

Are we commemorating the Leica company or "The Leica Way" of
photographing?  I can play either way, but I think we might be missing out
on some good pictures if we are too restrictive.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Leica 100 Years)