Subject: [Leica] Leica 100 Years
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Jan 3 05:57:31 2009

Just what are we intending to celebrate?

1) Excellence of photography
2) Excellence of Leica products as
a) lenses
b) cameras
c) both together

Stretching a combination of 1 + 2 could even mean something excellent
from a photographic point of view, but shot with a Holga carried in a
Leica bag :-)

The optical excellence of Leica is what puts the (technically) ideal
image on film or sensors, the excellence of photography is provided by
the photographer.

Leica cameras do not automatically make you take better pictures.

The Leica body as such is simply a light-tight (hopefully) box carrying
the medium for recording images  - it may be technologically advanced in
some ways or another, but it still only fulfils this simple purpose with
additional aids for enabling the photographer to focus precisely and, in
later models, to do without an external exposure meter.

For me, this is reason enough to vote for Leica lenses as the rule.

My two-pennorth
Douglas