Subject: [Leica] Re: Rangefinder and cloth shutter
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat Jan 3 15:19:15 2009

At 01:27 PM 1/3/2009, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

 >Give Barnack
 >the credit for the concept of a slim, pocketable 35 mm camera taking
 >full (double) frame exposures but many of the features in the Leica
 >camera that we cherish, rangefinders, the LTM mount, the reliable
 >variable speed, self capping shutter came from other minds.

Well, the LTM and its specifications -- 39mm by
26 turns per inch Whitworth -- was developed by
Barnack, though he idiot-proofed it with the
assistance of the AO Roth camera store in London
before releasing it to the general public.  The
folks at E Leitz already knew that Zeiss Ikon
intended a bayonet mount for its forthcoming Contax RF system.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!