Subject: [Leica] Cuba?
From: johnbeeching at gmail.com (John Beeching)
Date: Sun Jan 4 12:25:27 2009

Dear Tina,

I have been to Cuba on several occasions, though, apart from the
mid-seventies when I went with a group of Mexican students, I have always
gone there for work, so I can't really comment on it from a vacation point
of view.  That being said, I have developed some good work collaborations
and have made some great friends.  But then I prefer to travel for the
people rather than the beaches; I much prefer to stay with friends however
economically constrained they may be than in luxury resorts.  Cubans have a
great sense of fun and know how to have a party with very little!  Havana is
gradually being tarted up, but it reminds my very much of the Spain of my
youth; dilapidated colonial splendour and people who behave as caballeros (=
companeros!).

John