Subject: [Leica] Leica ii year-end shoot - film used
From: donr at ishutterbug.com (donr@ishutterbug.com)
Date: Mon Jan 5 20:21:48 2009

Thanks for the encouraging comments, everyone. :)

On this trip I made a point of using every shutter speed the camera has
several times for a test. Looking at the negs they are very consistently
exposed throughout so I am confident (very important) the shutter speeds
are within specs, several indoor 1/20 and 1/30 are properly exposed but
soft, showing that I didn't hold the camera still enough (all shots were
hand-held). I've always had that problem; I hold the camera loose; big
problem on my Canon 5D as the big full-sized mirror swinging up
invariably blurs shots under 1/60sec, need to shoot fast at wider
aperture or heaven forbid use a tripod.

I used Fujifilm ISO 200 from Ritz Camera store. I took the film back to
them and they developed it and put the images on a CD in their
proprietary compressed '.tif' format. My CS2 won't open it but my ACDCee
will so I used that to open and save to regular '.tif' the keepers, then
I opened them in CS2 and mainly sized them to 800x540x72px just for the
gallery. I am just learning the Smugmug gallery and next time I will
size the images to print 10x8in so that all the detail can be seen in
"Large" mode.

I generally have a lot of Photoshopping to do on my digital pics, but
with my Leica shots from the CD I do very little except adjust contrast,
I think that Fujifilm or their developing is contrasty. They don't need
any sharpening, and if I do it just brings the grain out. It's
interesting. I do notice the "richness" and the "lushness" of all my
Leica shots with any of my lenses. That's what makes it worth it for me,
and what digital hasn't given, notwithstanding the ease and power it
affords. I have the ii, iiif, and iiig.

Regards,
Don Ridgway