Subject: [Leica] 24mm - too close to 28mm? - now DR Summicron, Macro-Elmarit, Macro-Switar
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Jan 6 10:09:47 2009

One reason a 24 is not too close to a 28 is that in my opinion:

A 24 is not too close to a 24.

I have a handful of 28's;
And ditto of 24's.

- a certain department of redundancy department issues....
What is going on here?

1. In the film days I'd have two cameras going one with black and white one
with color or whatever and similar lenses on each cameras were needed.

2. one 28 might be a compact slow version while the other one might be a big
clunky fast version I'm not likely to be carefully carrying around but only
using when I really need it - where I wanted to isolate subjects or shoot
hand held wide open; a low light lens.

3. in reality the reason why I have redundancy issues in glass often is I'll
have an older version and then I'll get a newer version. AI to AF maybe in
the Nikon system. C to CF in the Hassy system. They all come in handy.
I've never been one to trade stuff in for nothing or just sell stuff ultra
cheap when it can be and had all the while of great use to me.
Backups are great.
Don't put all your 24's on one pocket.

You can have one with a red filter on it and one with a green filter on it.
One on a body with IR film.
One in the glove department of your jet.

Its ok for things to be very close together in focal length as much as its
ok for them to be 0 degrees apart.

Redundancy fights for you.
It makes you less afraid.

Mark William Rabiner