Subject: [Leica] re: Visiting Berlin
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Wed Jan 7 04:59:57 2009

Douglas is right when he says public transportation in Berlin is
fantastic. The city is as well.

The travel guides will tell you about the big museums. Two small ones
worth visiting are the K?the Kohlwitz museum on die Fasanstra?e just
off the Kurf?rstendamm in the old West Berlin. Next door is a great
cafe for coffee, cake, beer, or something more substantial to eat. Of
note: on the otherside of the Kurf?rstendamm and up a street is a
camera store worth visiting. There is another in the former East Berlin
near Alexander Platz (square).

I'd also recommend the Max Lieberman museum which is located on the
Wannsee on Berlin's western edge and next to Potsdam. Getting to the
museum by bus would give you a chance to look at the city beyond the
usual tourist spots.

And finally, I'd recommend you stay in Berlin a month or more. There's
lots to see and do and as Douglas points out there are lots of nearby
places to visit. Leipzig is about an hour away by train. Stralsund to
the north is further, but it is worth traveling to. Take the water
ferry to the island of Hiddensee. It takes a couple of hours to get
there. The island is fun to visit and the trip back is amazing as the
city emerges from the water, or at least seems to.

Doug

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] re: Visiting Berlin)