Subject: [Leica] Travel hard drive?
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Jan 8 13:43:33 2009

Hi Craig. I'm with Nathan and Tina AND the folks saying get a bunch of extra
cards.
I've settled on all my new cards now in the 4GB size (not too many eggs in
the one basket compromise)
For me 4GB is about a battery charge anyway so you are opening the camera.
I really like to have a laptop when travelling for the obvious mail and web
reasons too.
Plus of course you can use it like a decent photo album if you want to show
stuff along the way.
So my strategy is:
Have a stack of cards, copy from the filled ones at the end of the day to
the laptop and put the card aside as well.
If you are carrying the laptop you can add one of those tiny portable
external HDDs as well.
Using ACR (and no doubt LR etc) you can automate import AND an extra copy to
the external HDD at the same time.
That's three copies on separate devices/media. If you somehow fill all of
the cards you brought (and I did!), you can double check the copies and then
reuse the cards as needed.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/
Pick up your camera and make the best photo you can.